Airplanes undergo maintenance on a regular basis. The maintenance is performed by trained engineers who have to log their activities. For example, describing what type of damage they have encountered and what kind of action has been taken. This is often considered a bothersome tasks which in turn is not performed accordingly and with little consistence. Therefore it is interesting to investigate alternative methods to fill out maintenance event logs.
Aim of the project is to:
- modernize the process of filling maintenance forms by engineers
– save time filling forms
– increase motivation to fill out form accordingly
- improve quality of manually logged maintenance data
Design and develop an (audio) user interface between the maintenance engineer and the maintenance event database. Enable the engineer to fill out forms by speech as he performs maintenance, remind the engineer if certain information has not been provided and perform search queries on historic data to support troubleshooting. Besides the implementation of a speech recognition and processing pipeline, an important part of the effort is to ensure smooth interaction between man and machine by defining efficient commands and queries.
For the speech recognition part of the subject we suggest using an established API such as Microsoft Speech to Text:
- ITAR approved
- Install Speech service container locally
- SDK for C# & Python
Experimenting with other speech recognition software is a bonus; however an alternative solution must be securely deployable outside the cloud.
Royal NLR is looking for innovative interns who are fascinated by the possibilities of modern technology and who want to solve practical problems by transforming ideas into functioning tools.
What we offer
- A challenging graduation project in a high-tech result orientated work environment
- Weekly supervision and availability of the technical staff for support
- An internship allowance
- Close cooperation with (a) student(s) of Hyperion working on a supplementary assignment
About Royal NLR
The Royal Netherlands Aerospace Centre NLR is the research organization in the Netherlands in the field of aerospace engineering. Around 650 employees highly educated from aircraft engineers to psychologists and from mathematicians to application experts.
The Maintenance Engineering, Management & Technology team is innovative, practical and the focus is set on:
- supporting maintenance organisations, operators and airplane manufacturers with their maintenance activities
- research and development of state-of-the art maintenance optimization tools
Are you interested to learn more about the NLR? Please visit our website or media channel on YouTube for background information. For more information on this assignment please contact Dino Spirtovic, email@example.com.
Apply by sending your CV and cover letter to Dino Spirtovic, firstname.lastname@example.org
Datum : 31/08/2020
Locatie : Amsterdam
Uren : 40
Opleidingsniveau : BSc.
Achtergrond : Informatics, Artificial Intelligence, Business Analytics, Information Sciences