Research assignment description
Aerospace industry applies such braids both for shielding of cables and shielding cable bundles. The required level of shielding is high and related weight and costs are a significant. The methods used for calculating shielding effectiveness at braid designs, have limited accuracy. There is interest to determine the benefits of improved predictability of shielding effectiveness.
Fokker Elmo manufactures optimized cable braids. This optimization typically tries to minimize the trade-off between two competing inductances: the hole inductance and the braid inductance. Nevertheless, the underpinning theoretical models for such optimization remain, to the state-of-the-art, quite unsatisfactory.
- Literature review and state-of-the-art.
- To design an optimized braid by using different transfer impedance models: traditional, new and improved ones.
- To compare, analyze and draw conclusions on the outcome of the different alternative hole and braid inductance models.
- To draft a report with the results of this study.
Estimated is 6 months minimum, starting date is TBD
GKN Fokker Elmo/ NLR
You will have a supervisor at both GKN Fokker Elmo and NLR Marknesse. GKN Fokker Elmo is a company that is specialized in the design, optimization and manufacturing of cabling for aircraft. In NLR you will be guided by the team that deals with Electromagnetic Technology and Antennas. This team is specialized in all Electromagnetic aspects of aerospace, such as software-designed radio, antennas, radar absorbing materials and EMC. NLR is a leading international research centre for aerospace. Its mission is to make air transport safer, more efficient, more effective and more sustainable.
– Finalized Bachelor’s in preferably Electrical Engineering or Applied Mathematic
– Some background knowledge on Electromagnetic Compatibility would be a pro.
What do we offer?
- A challenging internship in a high-tech environment
- Informal company culture with space for own initiative, with result-orientation and commitment as important factors
- An attractive internship payment (€367 gross/month) and possibilities for development.
For more information, please contact Jesper Lansink Rotgerink 088-5114380, Jesper.Lansink.Rotgerink@nlr.nl.
Apply by sending your cv and cover letter to Jesper.Lansink.Rotgerink@nlr.nl.
Datum : 07/06/2019
Locatie : GKN Fokker Elmo (Hoogerheide) / NLR Marknesse
Uren : 40
Opleidingsniveau : Wetenschappelijk onderwijs
Werkniveau : Msc.
Achtergrond : Elektrotechniek / Technische Wiskunde